- Role Type
- 1 Coleman Street, London EC2R 5AA
- Competitive + Bonus + Benefits
- Closing Date
- Company Info
LGIM is the investment management arm of Legal & General Group, a FTSE 100 company. We are one of Europe’s largest asset managers and a major global investor, with assets under management of £983.3bn* (as at 31 December 2017). Our success has been built by focusing on clients and providing them with services and solutions that meet their needs. We offer strategies across the full spectrum of asset classes, including equities, bonds, property, alternatives and cash, as well as multi-asset strategies tailored to the needs of institutional and retail investors.
LGIM is one of the world’s leading providers of index fund management. We are at the forefront of developments in liability-driven risk management solutions for defined benefit pension schemes, a leading provider of defined contribution solutions and also offer wide range of strategies to help our clients manage their investment objectives. LGIM continues to innovate as markets evolve, building strong relationships with clients including pension scheme, sovereign wealth funds, wealth managers and other professional investors.
We understand that our scale brings responsibilities. We play an active role in the companies we invest in, from exercising shareholder voting rights to directly engaging with companies at a board level. By engaging with businesses, we aim to unlock value for investors and shape the future and sustainability of financial markets.
In addition to having a leading position in the UK, we have selectively expanded into new markets across Europe, the Middle East, Asia and the US. We believe that translating our capabilities to reflect the needs of our international clients will mean we are well placed to help them achieve their objectives.
*LGIM internal data as at 31 December 2017, including derivative positions and advisory assets. These figures include assets managed by LGIMA, an SEC Registered Investment Advisor.
- Department Info
LGIM manages fixed income, equity, multi-asset, liability-driven investment, property and alternative solutions on behalf of its clients. Located across the globe, our clients include institutional pension funds, financial institutions, local authorities and sovereign wealth funds. In order to meet the complex and evolving investment needs of our clients, we focus on remaining at the forefront of investment product innovation and maintaining our reputation as experts across all asset classes.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
- Job Duties
- Provide financing legal advice to the LGIM Real Assets business heads. The role may also include reporting to relevant boards, monitoring legal developments and other events which are likely to have legal implications for the LGIM Real Assets business and assist in developing strategies for Private Credit.
- Provide legal advice and transaction management assistance to LGIM Real Assets including:
- Working closely with the relevant business heads within private credit, review and negotiate the legal aspects of a range of secured and unsecured debt finance transactions, with a particular focus on real estate finance (predominantly in our capacity as a lender but occasionally also supporting L&G property funds when sourcing external debt funding), development finance, project finance, other forms of structured finance products (e.g. swap repacks, asset backed finance etc.) and derivative products. Some experience of restructurings would also be desirable but not mandatory;
- Assist with structuring unsecured and secured debt finance transaction (both from external and internal sources) and other direct investment transactions;
- Assist with the development of internal procedures and policies for: (i) transactions including during execution phase, (ii) on-going portfolio management of completed deals, and (iii) in cases of restructuring and enforcement of assets;
- Working closely with Legal & General Group plc’s own in-house finance legal counsels to ensure sufficient oversight and highlighting of risks for private credit asset opportunities;
- Working closely with LGIM’s internal credit ratings team to facilitate their work in privately rating transactions;
- Ensuring LGIM Real Assets’ compliance with all internal policies and relevant contractual and fiduciary responsibilities, including to counterparties and other stakeholders;
- Where appropriate, develop L&G standard form finance documentation based on market standard precedent, adapted to suit and accommodate L&G’s specialist lending product;
- Review and develop investment management mandates (both for internal L&G clients and external segregated clients) to ensure the interests of LGIM Real Assets are protected and recorded.
- Liaising with overseas counsel regarding matters of foreign law that may impact on, amongst other things, finance structures and investment management agreements.
- Provide general legal support and advice to members of the private credit team, compliance and operations teams on legal matters; raise awareness/flagging of key issues.
- Assist with management of LGIM Real Assets’ external legal panel of advisers.
- Support senior business heads on business initiatives e.g. ESGand Internationalisation.
- Liaise with and provide advice to the compliance function.
- Facilitate compliance with Group policies and procedures including corporate governance and internal approvals procedures.
- Skills Required
- Refers significant commercial judgment calls and difficult matters of client relations to the Head of Legal/Group Counsel. Will use the Head of Legal/Group Counsel as a sounding board for high-profile judgment calls. Requires UK practising certificate.
- The successful candidate should have good working knowledge of (amongst others):
- all LMA documentation with a specific focus on real estate finance;
- prior experience of working with the ACIC’s Model Form note purchase agreements;
- Prior experience of working for or with asset managers would be desirable but is not essential;
- Prior experience of working with structured finance products and the general suite of documents typically seen for project finance transactions;
- Knowledge of derivative documentation eg. Suite of ISDA and GMRA documentation.
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, life assurance, 25 days' holiday, private medical insurance, performance related bonuses, a variety of share schemes, discounts at both a huge range of high street stores and our own great products, as well as a 12% car allowance scheme, your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.