- Role Type
- 1 Coleman Street, London, EC2R 5AA
- Competitive + Benefits + Bonus
- Closing Date
- Company Info
LGIM is the investment management arm of Legal & General Group, a FTSE 100 company. We are one of Europe’s largest asset managers and a major global investor, with assets under management of £983.3bn* (as at 31 December 2017). Our success has been built by focusing on clients and providing them with services and solutions that meet their needs. We offer strategies across the full spectrum of asset classes, including equities, bonds, property, alternatives and cash, as well as multi-asset strategies tailored to the needs of institutional and retail investors.*LGIM internal data as at 31 December 2017, including derivative positions and advisory assets. These figures include assets managed by LGIMA, an SEC Registered Investment Advisor.
LGIM’S ETHICAL CULTURE
Successful companies are those that understand the importance of behaving responsibly for the good of society and acting in the interests of their customers – Nigel Wilson, CEO
At LGIM we believe that we all have a responsibility towards the world, our customers and the communities we live and work in. We invest in companies that create cleaner energy or build more local houses. LGIM plays an active role in the companies we invest in, from exercising shareholder voting rights to directly engaging with companies at a board level.
LGIM welcomes people of all backgrounds. Being inclusive is one of our core business principles because it increases the breadth of our knowledge, with the closely linked aims of improving customer outcomes and delivering stronger financial performance.
- Department Info
BUILDING SOFTWARE AT LGIM
The software development teams at LGIM work on projects for different business areas; from portfolio management tools for our traders to backend integration with external vendors and web portals to service our clients. We use a number of different technologies as well to solve a wide range of problems. Our projects can range from a small change to an existing system that will make one business team’s work easier to really big new systems that can impact every area of the business.
- Job Duties
- Learn to develop software using the Java programming language
- Spend 20% of your time on formal college training with our apprenticeship training provider
- Follow mentoring as specified
- Work as part of a software development team on real business applications
- Be active in developer team meetings to keep colleagues informed and to create a forum for knowledge sharing
By the end of your apprenticeship you will
- Have obtained BCS qualifications
- Build according to technical direction and established patterns
- Use a number of tools and other programming languages where necessary
- Follow application & component level design, working to standards and patterns
- Propose solutions and agree those with a Senior/Lead Developer
- Follow coding standards and ensure compliance with quality measures
- Provide 3rd line support where required
- Contribute to the team ownership view of the platforms/systems you work on (everyone owns the code)
- Ensure code is tested in accordance with the guidelines
- Cope with context switching and work to deadlines
- Help the next group of apprentices find their feet.
Note: This role is due to start in Sept 2019
- Skills Required
This apprenticeship is open to applicants of all ages and genders (over 16)
GCSE (or equivalent), at 4–9/C-A (or equivalent), in Maths or Science related subjects
- Genuine interest in software development
- Willingness & aptitude to learn new skills
- Problem Solver
- Demonstrates a pro-active, self-motivated and positive attitude
- Good communication and presentation skills
Work Experience – Desirable (but NOT required):
- Applied Programming (any language)
Benefits and pay
- Salary is £20,000 for a one year traineeship, followed by a review and the potential offer a second year and finally the potential to offer the role on a full-time basis after 2 years
- 22 days holiday plus public holidays, Pension 5% non-contributory plus up to a 5% match
- Range of employee benefits like cycle to work scheme, gym discount, free eye test etc.
- Apprenticeship discounts such as reduced cost oyster card
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, life assurance, at least 22 days’ (with potential to rise to 25 days) holiday, performance related bonuses, a variety of share schemes, discounts at both a huge range of high street stores and our own great products, your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.