Senior Research Manager, Real Assets
- Role Type
- One Coleman Street, London, EC2R 5AA
- Competitive + Bonus + Benefits
- Closing Date
- Company Info
LGIM is the investment management arm of Legal & General Group, a FTSE 100 company. We are one of Europe’s largest asset managers and a major global investor, with assets under management of £983.3bn* (as at 31 December 2017). Our success has been built by focusing on clients and providing them with services and solutions that meet their needs. We offer strategies across the full spectrum of asset classes, including equities, bonds, property, alternatives and cash, as well as multi-asset strategies tailored to the needs of institutional and retail investors.
LGIM is one of the world’s leading providers of index fund management. We are at the forefront of developments in liability-driven risk management solutions for defined benefit pension schemes, a leading provider of defined contribution solutions and also offer wide range of strategies to help our clients manage their investment objectives. LGIM continues to innovate as markets evolve, building strong relationships with clients including pension scheme, sovereign wealth funds, wealth managers and other professional investors.
We understand that our scale brings responsibilities. We play an active role in the companies we invest in, from exercising shareholder voting rights to directly engaging with companies at a board level. By engaging with businesses, we aim to unlock value for investors and shape the future and sustainability of financial markets.
In addition to having a leading position in the UK, we have selectively expanded into new markets across Europe, the Middle East, Asia and the US. We believe that translating our capabilities to reflect the needs of our international clients will mean we are well placed to help them achieve their objectives.
*LGIM internal data as at 31 December 2017, including derivative positions and advisory assets. These figures include assets managed by LGIMA, an SEC Registered Investment Advisor.
- Department Info
Real Assets, headed up by Bill Hughes, has assets under management of £27 billion (31-Dec-2018), actively investing and managing assets across commercial property, residential, infrastructure and corporate credit. We take pride in creating an innovative and diverse range of investment solutions to deliver the long term needs of our clients. Recent examples include:
- Launching the UK’s first dedicated Build to Rent residential property fund in 2016, pioneering the development of purpose-built homes for long-term rental.
- Expanding the role of a range of ‘alternative’ real estate types, including Residential, Leisure & Hospitality and Healthcare in diversified real estate funds
- Bringing Infrastructure and Real Estate investment together in 2015 into a single Real Assets division, recognising the high levels of synergy across the asset classes
- Job Duties
This role is to lead our research across the alternative real estate sectors, with a particular focus on Residential. We expect it to have a significant impact in shaping our investment strategies and communicating frequently with clients and potential clients. Whilst the focus is on leading our thinking on Residential, both Build to Rent and Student Accommodation, it will require an ability to explore new areas, building and maintaining views on areas such as healthcare, self-storage and other emerging investment types.
The role will include:
- Insight origination: Deriving evidence-based, independent views that contribute to the delivery of strong risk-adjusted returns for clients. Delivered through a variety of means, including short research notes, longer reports and presentations. This will span a range of topics, principally;
- Market insights: Including assessments of current market conditions, investment pricing and capital flows / sentiment
- Sector views: Comprehensive assessments of different subsectors, their risk and return characteristics
- Portfolio perspectives: Identifying, analysing and communicating the contribution that different sectors/subsectors play in a Real Assets portfolio and informing effective diversification / risk management
- Client solutions: Representing to clients the role that these sectors play in a broader multi-asset portfolio and helping to structure investment programs to match risk / reward profiles to client objectives
- Guidance for stock selection / management strategies: Utilising the insights garnered through the market insight and sector view streams, to work with Front office colleagues to identify stock selection criteria that assist in meeting client objectives, either to maximise return or minimise risk
- Influence and profile: This person is expected to have a high profile within our business, communicating the results of research projects persuasively to Real Assets fund managers and clients. We also seek to lead broader industry thinking, through press contact, publications, conference presentations and participation in industry organisations. The role is to lead the agenda in the areas for which they are responsible, and making a clear connection between the results of research initiatives and practical investment implications.
- Considered; the role of research is to provide a distinctive voice within Real Assets, with rigorous, evidence-based insight
- Independence of thought; able to absorb knowledge and views from colleagues / others but with a view to developing an unbiased point of view
- Creativity / originality / innovation; an emphasis on continuous improvement, challenging ourselves to deliver more
- Confidence / authority; You must have the confidence of your convictions to ensure that your ideas have influence
- Flexible; able to adapt to changing priorities and respond positively
- Collegiate; good at working effectively with colleagues to harness the different skills and roles that each person brings to a task
- Skills Required
- Highly analytical; able to take research questions, identify an appropriate research method to address them, undertake the process and deliver a set of evidence-based conclusions with an emphasis on the investment implications / recommendations that flow from them
- Project management; able to manage projects effectively, so that they deliver their objectives within the time and (if applicable) budgets set at the outset.
- Excellent communication; able to communicate effectively, with authority and therefore influence in print and in person with colleagues and clients at different levels of seniority and with differing professional backgrounds
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Likely to be degree-educated, most obviously in an economics, finance, geography or business-related subject
- May well have an additional investment or finance related qualification eg CFA, IMC, CAIA, IPF diploma
- Strong understanding of the sectors covered by this role
- Strong understanding of investment fundamentals; the contributors to risk and return, desirable portfolio characteristics and the implications for portfolio construction, client objectives etc
- Wider interest and understanding of Real Assets; the role of different subsectors in constructing Real Asset portfolios and the contribution of Real Asset portfolios to meeting client objectives
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, life assurance, 27 days' holiday, private medical insurance, performance related bonuses, a variety of share schemes, discounts at both a huge range of high street stores and our own great products, as well as a 12% car allowance scheme, your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.