Release Train Engineer
- Role Type
- 1 Coleman Street, London, EC2R 5AA
- Competitive + Benefits + Bonus
- Closing Date
- Company Info
LGIM is the investment management arm of Legal & General Group, a FTSE 100 company. We are one of Europe’s largest asset managers and a major global investor, with assets under management of £983.3bn* (as at 31 December 2017). Our success has been built by focusing on clients and providing them with services and solutions that meet their needs. We offer strategies across the full spectrum of asset classes, including equities, bonds, property, alternatives and cash, as well as multi-asset strategies tailored to the needs of institutional and retail investors.
LGIM is one of the world’s leading providers of index fund management. We are at the forefront of developments in liability-driven risk management solutions for defined benefit pension schemes, a leading provider of defined contribution solutions and also offer wide range of strategies to help our clients manage their investment objectives. LGIM continues to innovate as markets evolve, building strong relationships with clients including pension scheme, sovereign wealth funds, wealth managers and other professional investors.
We understand that our scale brings responsibilities. We play an active role in the companies we invest in, from exercising shareholder voting rights to directly engaging with companies at a board level. By engaging with businesses, we aim to unlock value for investors and shape the future and sustainability of financial markets.
In addition to having a leading position in the UK, we have selectively expanded into new markets across Europe, the Middle East, Asia and the US. We believe that translating our capabilities to reflect the needs of our international clients will mean we are well placed to help them achieve their objectives.
*LGIM internal data as at 31 December 2017, including derivative positions and advisory assets. These figures include assets managed by LGIMA, an SEC Registered Investment Advisor.
- Department Info
LGIM manages fixed income, equity, multi-asset, liability-driven investment, property and alternative solutions on behalf of its clients. Located across the globe, our clients include institutional pension funds, financial institutions, local authorities and sovereign wealth funds. In order to meet the complex and evolving investment needs of our clients, we focus on remaining at the forefront of investment product innovation and maintaining our reputation as experts across all asset classes.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
- Job Duties
Legal & General Investment Management will transform the way we operate by partnering with the business lines, technology, change and data groups, to develop the strategy, vision and roadmap for the Agile transformation, in order to deliver best in class digital, data and technology platform services that will delight our customers and our colleagues and meet our global growth ambitions.
As a Release Train Engineer you are a Servant Leader and Agile Change Agent who will deliver a world class agile change capability for LGIM. You will be responsible for championing, governing, scaling, and measuring the success of our operating framework and the agile transformation. Coaching leaders, teams, and Scrum Masters in the new processes and mindsets. You will help configure SAFe to the organization’s needs, standardizing and documenting practices.
The RTE’s major responsibilities are to facilitate the ART events and processes and assist the teams to deliver value. RTEs communicate with stakeholders, solve / escalate impediments, manage risk, and drive relentless improvement.
This will include responsibilities to optimise resources and people across the organsiation to enable delivery to agreed business plans within cost, quality and timescale objectives, and to enable business outcomes and benefits identified in the Lean business cases to be realised. As such you may be responsible to lead a team of professionals within both permanent and matrixed teams and will support the development of business agility across the organisation through, for example, from instantiated ways of working.
Release Train Engineering:
- Manage and optimize the flow of value through the ART and Solution Train using various tools, such as the Program and Solution Kanbans and other information radiators
- Establish and communicate the annual calendars for Iterations and Program Increments (PIs)
- Facilitate PI Planning readiness by fostering a Continuous Exploration process which drives the synthesis of a Vision, a Roadmap, and Backlogs, and through Pre- and Post-PI Planning meetings
- Facilitate the PI planning event
- Summarize Team PI Objectives into Program PI Objectives (the RTE) and publish them for visibility and transparency
- Summarize program PI objectives into Solution PI Objectives (the STE) and publish them for visibility and transparency
- Assist tracking the execution of features and capabilities
- Facilitate periodic synchronization meetings, including the ART sync at the Program Level and the value stream sync for Solution Trains
- Assist with economic decision-making by facilitating feature and capability estimation by teams and the roll-up to Epics, where necessary
- Coach leaders, teams, and Scrum Masters in Lean-Agile practices and mind-sets
- Help manage risks and dependencies
- Escalate and track impediments
- Provide input on resourcing to address critical bottlenecks
- Encourage collaboration between teams and System and Solution Architects/Engineering
- Work with Product and Solution Management, Product Owners, and other stakeholders to help ensure strategy and execution alignment
- Improve the flow of value through value streams by improving and assessing the DevOps and Release on Demand competency
- Help drive the Lean User Experience (UX) innovation cycle
- Work with the Agile Program Management Office (APMO) on program execution and operational excellence (see Lean Portfolio Management)
- Understand and operate within Lean Budgets and ensure adherence to Guardrails
- Facilitate System Demos and Solution Demos
- Drive relentless improvement via Inspect and Adapt workshops; assess the agility level of the ART and Solution Train and help them improve
- Foster Communities of Practice and the use of engineering and Built-In Quality practices
Agile Transformation Strategy:
Support the definition and implementation of LGIM’s software organisation Agile transformation strategy, which will directly support the technology & data platform strategy so that we can delight our customers and our people by placing powerful digital solutions in their hands. Support the delivery of the vision that will enable LGIM to become best in class in the innovative use of digital technology, data driven insights and agile delivery.
Establish relationships to transform our organisation:
Establish highly effective and collaborative relationships with key business, data, transformation and IT stakeholders to deliver on the Agile Transformation Strategy and work with business areas to enable a redesign of operating models in order to accelerate our digital business with agility, speed and innovation. Enable a better understanding of firm-wide Agility and the lean agile mind-set throughout the organisation including coaching the LGIM’s leadership team.
Support Development of Internal Agile Change Consultancy:
Support the development of a team of agile change agents who will work with our matrix of business lines, engineering, technology, change and data groups to deliver on the Agile Transformation Strategy and instantiate new lean agile practices across the agile portfolio. The team will perform like an internal Agile Change Consultancy minimising reliance on third parties and thereby reducing the cost of the transformation.
Support the development and adoption of LGIM’s ‘Agile Playbook’ that will underpin the wider software organisation framework and provide consistency of approach while encouraging new and innovative ways of working and thinking at every level of the organisation. The playbook will translate how SAFe is contextualised in LGIM to meet the Business Change Management Framework and will enable us to build maturity from team level agile ceremonies through to Enterprise Wide Lean Agile Portfolio Management practices including how to optimise our Agile portfolios.
Support LGIM’s risk tolerance:
Ensure that LGIM’s risk tolerance is effectively embedded within new ways of working so that we move at pace, but do not sacrifice the core strength of our brand in terms of the trust that our customers place in us to secure their financial wellbeing. Provide thought-leadership using tools, experience and knowledge gained from the wider Technology and Agile community, within the governance and control necessities of a highly regulated environment.
Increase the proportion of £ spend within agile systems / operating models:
Through the vehicle of the Agile Transformation, increase the proportion of spend of the total transformation portfolio using Agile systems and operating models, to release the value inherent in business agility, including lower unit cost of change, better alignment to business and strategic goals, and above all a customer centric approach to everything we do.
- Skills Required
- Masters level numerate or software sciences degree or equivalent.
- SAFe Certified Practitioner and relevant professional experience.
- Significant knowledge of large scale traditional transformation programmers, and a practical understanding of how Agile principles can be applied to solve some of the challenges they bring.
- Strong knowledge financial processes and controls. Sympathetic to nervousness finance functions may have with Agile concepts and be able to offer practical advice and support to bridge the gap.
- Significant experience in the establishment of Group functions in a large, complex organization and the challenges that may bring.
- Risk management, including operational risk management
- Significant Business / IT transformation experience in a highly regulated industry like Asset Management / Financial Services
- Servant Leadership including how to foster Servant Leadership in Systems
- Embracing difference and promotion of diversity of thought and approach
- Track record of delivering great customer outcomes
- Substantial experience in building out innovative data, analytics and technology strategies and their links to business strategies
- Excellent understanding of IT and data architectures, infrastructures and business processes they support and the ability to interpret these into innovative system solutions and controls to meet business needs
- Experience of significant transformations in highly regulated environments
- Experience of reshaping and sustaining appropriate Governance and Controls to both foster Agility while ensuring the organisation remains within its risk tolerance
- Experience of delivering end to end Digital Solutions and Operating Models
- Experience of coaching and developing Executives on their journey toward agility
- Understanding of end to end Digital Solutions and Operating Models
- Significant experience of managing large complex change portfolios and budgets (£50m+)
- Strategic thinker with first class organizing and action planning skills
- Develop, get buy-in and deliver strategies across the division & group
- Effective at making good decisions and delivering great outcomes in support of the strategy
- Empathic with a high degree of emotional intelligence
- Effective negotiator, speaker and listener
- Development of people and teams to deliver great outcomes
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, life assurance, 27 days' holiday, private medical insurance, performance related bonuses, a variety of share schemes, discounts at both a huge range of high street stores and our own great products, as well as a 12% car allowance scheme, your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.