Investment Performance Trainee
- Role Type
- Fixed Term Contract (inc Secondee)
- One Coleman Street, London, EC2R 5AA
- Competitive & bonus & benefits
- Closing Date
- Company Info
LGIM is the investment management arm of Legal & General Group, a FTSE 100 company. We are one of Europe’s largest asset managers and a major global investor, with assets under management of £983.3bn* (as at 31 December 2017). Our success has been built by focusing on clients and providing them with services and solutions that meet their needs. We offer strategies across the full spectrum of asset classes, including equities, bonds, property, alternatives and cash, as well as multi-asset strategies tailored to the needs of institutional and retail investors.
LGIM is one of the world’s leading providers of index fund management. We are at the forefront of developments in liability-driven risk management solutions for defined benefit pension schemes, a leading provider of defined contribution solutions and also offer wide range of strategies to help our clients manage their investment objectives. LGIM continues to innovate as markets evolve, building strong relationships with clients including pension scheme, sovereign wealth funds, wealth managers and other professional investors.
We understand that our scale brings responsibilities. We play an active role in the companies we invest in, from exercising shareholder voting rights to directly engaging with companies at a board level. By engaging with businesses, we aim to unlock value for investors and shape the future and sustainability of financial markets.
In addition to having a leading position in the UK, we have selectively expanded into new markets across Europe, the Middle East, Asia and the US. We believe that translating our capabilities to reflect the needs of our international clients will mean we are well placed to help them achieve their objectives.
*LGIM internal data as at 31 December 2017, including derivative positions and advisory assets. These figures include assets managed by LGIMA, an SEC Registered Investment Advisor.
- Department Info
LGIM manages fixed income, equity, multi-asset, liability-driven investment, property and alternative solutions on behalf of its clients. Located across the globe, our clients include institutional pension funds, financial institutions, local authorities and sovereign wealth funds. In order to meet the complex and evolving investment needs of our clients, we focus on remaining at the forefront of investment product innovation and maintaining our reputation as experts across all asset classes.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender identity or age.
- Job Duties
We are looking for an Investment Performance Trainee to work on a rotational basis over the course of a year. They will be producing monthly and quarterly reports, as well as taking lead roles in various development projects focusing on efficiency, standardisation & value-add.
The role requires the candidate to interact with the Front Office, Marketing, Data Management & Distribution Departments and therefore he/she must be a confident and proactive person with good problem solving skills.
The person performing this role would in time, after training, be expected to be able to manage a set of the core responsibilities, with minimal input and guidance from their manager. They will also gain exposure to a variety of platforms such as B-One, StatPro Composites & Tableau.
Key Accountabilities / Responsibilities:
- To calculate and analyse performance and attribution using the B-One performance system, manual calculations & StatPro Composites.
- To complete all tasks within agreed deadlines ensuring appropriate procedures and controls are adhered to.
- Ensure that all reporting is independently checked before distribution.
- Continually seek to understand and satisfy our client’s requirements. Develop procedures, processes and systems to support these requirements.
- To assist with any new developments/projects to improve efficiency/productivity and raise the profile of the Performance Team.
- To maintain threshold competency status in line with regulatory guidelines as required.
- To complete all assigned training and keep up to date with market changes.
- To carry out any other task as deemed necessary by your Line Manager.
As you will be new to the role and the industry we will provide you with learning and support in order to deliver the above job responsibilities.
- Skills Required
- Keen interest in financial markets and pursuing a career in the investment management industry.
- Enthusiastic and proactive approach.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and an ability and confidence to liaise with senior management.
- Organised and structured approach.
- Numerical, someone who enjoys problem solving.
- Knowledge of calculations and usage of return based statistics.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word & Power Point)
- Ability to work calmly, prioritise work and meet tight deadlines.
- Team player.
Our trainee programme is a fixed term one year contract paying £20,000 plus pension 5% non-contributory. You will receive 25 days annual leave. All roles are based in London.
Deadline for applications is 20th August 2019
- Please provide a copy of your CV and a covering letter answering the following questions:
- Why are you applying to LGIM for this traineeship programme?
- Tell us about your greatest achievement.
- Tell us about the most interesting project or piece of work you have completed as part of your studies at university. What did you have to do and what interested you most about it?
- Tell us about a financial news story that you found interesting and why?
Once your application has been received we will endeavour to get back to you within 2 weeks
Start Date for the successful candidate to start: September / October 2019
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, life assurance, at least 25 days’ holiday (with potential to rise to 26 days), private medical insurance, performance related bonuses, a variety of share schemes, discounts at both a huge range of high street stores and our own great products, your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.