Head of Application Development
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- Role Type
- 1 Coleman Street, London, EC2R 5AA
- Competitive + Benefits + Bonus
- Closing Date
- Company Info
Legal & General Investment Management is one of Europe’s largest asset managers and a major global investor, with total assets of GBP 957 / EUR 1,090 / CHF 1,191 billion*. We work with a wide range of global clients, including pension schemes, sovereign wealth funds, fund distributors and retail investors
Throughout the past 40 years we have built our business through understanding what matters most to our clients and transforming this insight into valuable, accessible investment products and solutions. We provide investment expertise across the full spectrum of asset classes including fixed income, equities, commercial property and cash. Our capabilities range from index-tracking and active strategies to liquidity management and liability-based risk management solutions.
*as at 30 June 2017, including derivative positions and advisory assets. These figures include assets managed by LGIMA, an SEC Registered Investment Advisor.
- Department Info
LGIM manages fixed income, equity, multi-asset, liability-driven investment, property and alternative solutions on behalf of its clients. Located across the globe, our clients include institutional pension funds, financial institutions, local authorities and sovereign wealth funds. In order to meet the complex and evolving investment needs of our clients, we focus on remaining at the forefront of investment product innovation and maintaining our reputation as experts across all asset classes.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
- Job Duties
This leadership role is accountable for the totality of Application Development (App Dev) across all of LGIM. The head of App Dev will be responsible for the effective and efficient delivery of all internally developed applications, bespoke applications developed by third parties and the relationships with these development partners. This role requires solid technical development experience, proven project management acumen, and a user-experience approach to technology development.
The development of applications in LGIM is becoming significantly more closely integrated with the business users as we evolve our adoption of Agile development. It will be an important part of this role to foster this evolution and enable the appropriate level of autonomy of these agile teams.
As a member of the COO senior team, the role contributes to the development and execution of the enterprise wide technology strategy, and ensures its alignment with LGIM’s business strategy and the delivery of capabilities required to achieve business success.
- Set the mission and vision of the App Dev organisation to foster a business-oriented / user-experience oriented culture and mind-set driven by a full lifecycle management approach to applications.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight for the design and development of applications that fulfil the needs of the business; aligned to the ongoing support of these applications.
- Ensure the appropriate ongoing development and maintenance of existing platforms
- Direct, manage and oversee a team of highly skilled individuals
- Provide direction and coaching to the App Dev teams.
- Drive the continued evolution of Agile practices across the App Dev function
- Be responsible for the development of the App Dev strategy and roadmap, and ensure its integration with the overall technology and enterprise strategic plans.
- Ensure software development in LGIM follows best practice tools and methodologies and is delivered according to all L&G group standards and be the LGIM custodian of these standards.
- Work with the technology senior management team on the overall application portfolio and governance required to prioritize resources.
- Act as a trusted advisor, and build and maintain relationships with the other key technology heads, other members of the senior COO group and business executives to develop a clear understanding of business needs; ensures cost-effective delivery of applications and features to meet those needs, and be able to respond with agility to changing business priorities.
- Work closely with the COO, the head of COO business management and the head of PMO to manage the annual budget for App Dev and ensure it is consistent with overall strategic objectives of LGIM and is within plan.
- Assessment of external and internal development capabilities required to achieve desired competitive positioning.
- Maintain currency on new technologies and provide direction on what emerging technologies should be assimilated, integrated and introduced within App Dev to ensure that the function is able to respond to the needs of LGIM’s business strategy.
- Champion App Dev in the Technology organisation's innovation efforts and its role in experimenting with new solutions to take advantage of business opportunities.
- Work with HR and the COO senior team to develop an App Dev "people strategy" that aligns with the business and Technology strategy.
- Be an ambassador of LGIM Technology within LGIM and with peers in other L&G business units
- Skills Required
- Experience working in Technology at senior levels not necessarily within financial
- Demonstrable experience practicing / leading Agile development and continuous delivery techniques
- An understanding of the investment management business
- Excellent knowledge of and understanding of the day to day operations of a global firm
- Proven leadership responsibilities in an environment of change.
- Experienced in large, cross-functional teams influencing senior-level management and key stakeholders effectively across the organisation and within complex contexts.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, organisation design and development.
- Exceptional ability to develop and communicate an App Dev vision that inspires and motivates staff and aligns to the Technology and business strategy.
- Effective influencing and negotiation skills in an environment where resources may not be in direct control of this role.
- Excellent analytical, strategic thinking, planning and execution skills.
- Expertise in budget planning and financial management
- Deep understanding of current and emerging software engineering technologies and techniques and how other enterprises are employing them.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute a strategic people plan that ensures that the right people are in the right roles at the right time and that employees are highly engaged and satisfied.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain technical concepts and technologies to business heads, and business concepts to the App Dev workforce.
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, life assurance, 30 days' holiday, private medical insurance for you and your family, performance related bonuses, a variety of share schemes, as well as a 12% car allowance scheme, your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.